Sunday, January 13, 2008

Wait a minute. Jesus was RICH?

Every week my pastor says something. Some little off-hand, throw away comment, that totally rocks my theology. This week's comment:

"Jesus had the most successful, wealthy ministry those days. That's why He needed a treasurer, to take care of the huge sums of money being handled. That's why they didn't tear his robe at crucifixion, as was their practice, because it was expensive - the guy wore designer robes!"

Okay, this is just outside my Jesus paradigm. I'm not saying it's not true, but it just doesn't fit with my perception of who Jesus was. I know he had a treasurer, Judas, so His ministry must have had some financial goings on. And I know lots were cast for his robe, it wasn't torn, which fulfilled an Old Testament prophecy. But it would surprise me very much to discover that Jesus had accumulated this world's wealth. And it would shock me no end to learn that He chose to wear "designer robes," that is, to make a display of his worldly riches before others. It just doesn't seem to fit with His message.

He is, of course, worthy of all this world's riches.

Lord, You are more precious than silver;
Lord, You are more costly than gold;
Lord, You are more beautiful than diamonds;
And nothing I desire compares with You.

I believe this song and sing it both at church and home. But that He would humble Himself by leaving his heavenly throne, be born of woman, wrapped in swaddling clothes and raised as the son of a carpenter, just to turn around and buy "designer duds"? Hm. Excuse me while I do some research...

No comments: