Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I did it.

I can't believe I did it.

First let me explain the scope of what I did. When we moved into this house, it was a tad small for all the stuff we own. So, we just left a great deal of it packed and stored it in 1/4 of the space of our 2-car garage. Floor to ceiling. Then, over the course of the last two years, we have packed up more junk and added it to our storage area, until it took up nearly half of the garage.

Knowing a move was in my future, I decided not to move a bunch of stuff without knowing precisely what it is and where it is packed. So, I embarked on the Great Garage Repack. Each box was opened, emptied, each item in the box sorted (trash/Goodwill/repack) and disposed of.

End process:
I started with 89 boxes of varying sizes and shapes.
I made 14 trips to Goodwill (every time I left the house I'd take what had accumulated)
I generated 22 lawn and leaf sized trash bags of trash.
I ended with 29 boxes of varying shapes and sizes.

I'd say of what I kept, 70% is books, almost all of which belong to the kids. Raising readers can be a very expensive proposition!

I promised myself a new Harvest Moon game when the garage was done. Sadly, Tree of Tranquility doesn't come out until September 17, so I guess I'll get the attic done before my reward comes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, good job! GREAT JOB! I am very proud of you! I moved a lot of clutter when we moved. Going through boxes stresses me out. I'm very impressed! Sorry your game isn't out yet. But impressed, again, that you're moving on to the attic instead of sleeping until the 17th :-)

Any word on if you're moving much closer to me?