Tuesday, September 25, 2007

It's the big day

My son is having his root canal today. Oh boy, oh boy. I'm hopin' and prayin' that he doesn't have my tendency toward nerve overgrowth!

When I was pregnant with oldest daughter, one of my old metal fillings cracked and took the tooth with it. The root canal wasn't awful, mostly just hours of sitting with my mouth open, but that's just like watching TV (how DO they think up such terrible commercials?) so no big deal. But, in excavating the root, the dentist found - not two, not three, but seven nerves supplying this one tooth! I think he might have even missed one, because the tooth is still sensitive to cold and sweet.

Now, this nerve overgrowth would explain so much. Regular dental cleanings have always hurt my teeth and the dentists always thought I was just being a wimp. I've given birth to six kids, how wimpy can I be?? Hm? We own a Sonicare toothbrush, but I can only stand to use it a couple times a week because it makes my teeth too sensitive to chew with. The Sonicare Diet. Nah, I can smell the lawyers ponying up already.

Of course, if the poor boy had my nerve overgrowth, at least one of the thirteen cavities he is nurturing would start hollering at him, right? Well, we shall see. It promises to be an interesting afternoon.

No comments: